Homemade Taco Seasoning: Recipe



As we’ve been transitioning over to a more natural and traditional diet, we’ve learned to start doing things ourselves. It’s empowering; it’s liberating; and it’s just darn tasty! One of those things we learned to do quickly was to make our own sauces and spice mixes (Thanks, Mom, for this recipe!). Taco seasoning is by far one of the easiest mixes to make. This is a fantastic reminder that feeding your family good, healthy, whole foods does not have to mean slaving away in the kitchen all day. Making taco seasoning at home is also a great way to avoid the MSG and sugar-laden spice packets you find at your grocery store. Finally, it is just more economical. 
Since we're a mostly grain-free family, we don't eat tortillas. Most of the time we eat our tacos as salads, or use romaine lettuce leaves as our shell and call them taco boats. Other times we use the seasoning for shredded beef burrito bowls. It's fun and delicious, and we really don't miss having the tortillas. Although, sometimes I will fry 100% corn tortillas (non-GMO) in lard just for the husband - these are lip-smacking good! Tacos are a favorite meal around here; the seasoning is just that good, so I make this about once per week. 
Taco Seasoning
Per 1 pound of meat:
2 teaspoons organic chili powder
1 teaspoon sea salt (I use RealSalt)
1 teaspoon organic garlic powder
1 teaspoon organic cumin
1/2 - 1 teaspoon organic cayenne (add more or less depending on desired spiciness)
A small amount of filtered water
1. Place meat in a pan on medium heat, and cook thoroughly. I usually toss in some chopped onion as well.
2. Turn heat to low and add seasonings into the meat. Add the water to facilitate the blending of spices if you find your meat to be dry. 
3. Your meat is now deliciously spiced and ready for whatever dish you are serving tonight!
You can also multiply the recipe, mix all the ingredients together, and then store in an air-tight container. This way you already have the taco seasoning made and only need to scoop out 2 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of meat. What a great time-saver and a tasty one at that!
What other spice mixes would you want to learn to make yourself?

This was entered into The Healthy Home Economist's Monday Mania,  Real Food Forager's Fat TuesdayKelly the Kitchen Kop's Real Food WednesdayFood Renegade's Fight Back Friday, and Nourishing Gourmet's Pennywise Platter.
Photo Credit: 1237723 by nkzs

8 comments:

  1. I use Italian seasoning a lot and would love your handy blend for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Italian seasoning would be good. Hopefully I can post it soon! Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  2. I didn't have time to get it all together as a mix, but your post helped me know what seasonings to put in our taco soup I have in the crockpot right now. Perfect timing :). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect - I was planning on making Taco Salad tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tacos, but I do hate the list of ingredients on the seasoning at the grocery store!

    I'm working on stocking up for the upcoming birth of my second child. I would love for you to come share this recipe at my Make-ahead Monday Link-up over at Raising Isabella!

    http://naturalparentingunnaturalworld.blogspot.com/2012/01/make-ahead-monday-5.html

    Hope to see you there!~
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sarah! Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you'll get a chance to try out the taco seasoning recipe. Let me know what you think! Congratulations! Children are such a gift! I will definitely be stopping by your blog. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this recipe at Make-ahead monday! Hope to see you again next week!

    http://naturalparentingunnaturalworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete