Garlic Roasted Chicken & Veggies: One Dish Meal


I'm often looking for meals that can be completed without hours of prep, but that will also deliver in the nutrition area. Canned soups, frozen dinners, and boxed-a-ronis are out for various reasons, but mostly because they are empty calories. By keeping to a nutrient-dense traditional foods diet, I know we are getting the nutrition we need to maintain and/or heal our bodies. However, it's often thought that keeping such a diet necessarily requires long and labor intensive hours in the kitchen. I will admit that I spend more time in the kitchen since getting married and becoming the main chef in the house, but I mostly think this is due to the fact that I like being in there. I love to experiment, try out recipes, throw eggs on the floor, and in general make a mess for my husband to clean up (Our rule: I cook, he cleans! Hehehe!).  Now I've gotten off topic. My main point: eating a healthy traditional foods diet, does not mean never stepping outside the kitchen. Today I have a new recipe to prove it. 
Since I was a little girl I have been enjoying this meal; my mom would prepare it to the delight of the entire family. It's just delicious! It uses everyday ingredients, can be adjusted to seasonal vegetable availability, and the best part is that the entire meal fits into one pan! Easy peasy with no more than 15 minutes of prep!
Garlic Roasted Chicken & Veggies
Ingredients
4 T. butter (or more) 
6 chicken leg/thigh quarters
24 garlic cloves, unpeeled
A variety of vegetables to fill the pan
Sea Salt to taste
1/4 cup Grade B maple syrup or honey
Instructions
1. Melt butter in a large roasting pan in the oven at 400 degrees.
2. Meanwhile, cut chicken leg/thighs apart at joints. Cut vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
3. Remove pan from oven when the butter is melted. Carefully tip pan to coat the entire bottom with the melted butter. 
4. Place chicken pieces, and harder vegetables (potatoes, carrots, etc) if using, and garlic into the pan. Turn ingredients to coat with melted butter. Leave chicken skin-side up. Then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sea salt.
5. Place pan in oven and cook for 40 minutes. Remove pan from oven, and baste chicken and vegetables.
6. Add softer vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, etc.) to pan and coat chicken and veggies with honey.
7. Put pan back into the oven for 20 minutes more. Then, remove from oven and enjoy!

This was shared at The Healthy Home Economist's Monday Mania.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh looks yummy! I love cauliflower! Looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't care for honey. What if I just use more butter for the soft veggies instead? (Or what if I use olive oil instead of butter and use it for all the butter/honey purposes?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cure the following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Shingles 16. psoriasis,Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 Autism. 19.. lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete