Classic Guacamole: Recipe


It’s been quite the month here in our household. I took a break from blogging to give my time and attention to a community event I was co-chairing in mid-February. It went off smashingly well, but it was followed by a a couple weeks of migraines. It may have been due to all the sewing I was doing, as I reupholstered a big, comfy chair I bought off of Craigslist, and I always seem to get my neck out of place while sewing. Fortunately, these were solved by my awesome chiropractor after a couple visits. I’d never experienced migraines before, and let me tell you, I have much greater empathy for those that experience them on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I then came down with some sort of flu/congestion. The Master Tonic I keep on hand was excellent for this, and I was quite happy I had made it this past autumn. I also kept up my liquids, rested a lot, and cut out most dairy. During the height of the fever, I was still able to pull off a surprise birthday party for one of my best friends. Then, finally, it was Spring Break and my husband was able to be home for the entire week. I took this week to recuperate and enjoy some carefree timelessness with my love. This past week finally offered me the time and relaxation I needed, so now I can get back into blogging. Thank you for your patience as I just suddenly disappeared without an explanation. 
I have a great treat for you today! For years my family has been making this guacamole recipe, and I have yet to come across any other guacamole recipe that compares. This is what converted my heart to loving avocados. I wouldn’t touch the things prior to eating this; now I enjoy even plain avocados with any dish. There’s not much of a secret ingredient to this recipe, but I will say that the lime juice adds a great bite, and paired with the cilantro - mmmm - it’s just heavenly. This doesn’t last long in our home, so I’m glad my husband was able to quickly snap a photo. 
I have brought this to friends’ homes to share, and served this to our guests, and many times I have heard, “Oh, no thank you, I don’t care for avocado.” But, then they try it, and oh! the flavor. They can’t help but enjoy this delightful combination.

Without further ado...
Classic Guacamole
Ingredients:
3 avocados, mashed
1 lime, juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup onion, diced
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 pinch ground cayenne, or more according to personal preference
Instructions:
1. In a large bowl, mash together the avocado, lime guice, and salt.
2. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic.
3. Stir in cayenne pepper.
4. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.
The lime juice will keep the guacamole from going brown while it is in the fridge for an hour. Actually, when we last made the guacamole it stayed green overnight in the fridge without a cover!
This is best served with homemade tortilla chips (or store-bought, too, however we try to avoid hydrogenated oils, since they are so bad for you). Lately, we most often eat our guacamole on our tacos, or with slices of cucumber and red pepper since I’m eating grain-free.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Your recipe is very similar to mine. It looks so delicious. I am also avoiding grains at the moment and enjoy it with veggies, too- especially sliced bell peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to make this recipe for guacamole! It was so good!

    ReplyDelete